Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a serious mental condition that can develop after you have witnessed or experienced a traumatic or extremely stressful event including danger, threat or a distressing shock, PTSD is a long-term consequence of traumatic experience that lead to fright, helplessness, panic or horror. It is characterized by flashbacks, nightmares, severe anxiety, intense disturbing thoughts and feelings related to the experience or distressing event that last long after the traumatic event has ended. However the disorder has a good prognosis and the symptoms can be managed with proper psychological treatment. At First Light Psychological Services, our team of experts are helping many individuals to get through the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. For the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY we have successfully assisted a number of patients to get back to their normal life.
What are the risk factors of Post-traumatic stress disorder?
Going through intense or long-lasting trauma, experiencing other trauma i.e. childhood abuse, an occupation that increases your risk of being prone to traumatic events, suffering from other mental health issues such as depression, substance misuse such as drinking or drug use, missing a good support system, going through a traumatic event that lasts a long time and close relatives with mental health issues also increase your risk of developing PTSD.
Call Us For Free Consultation
Symptoms of Post-traumatic stress disorder:
Common Cognitive symptoms of Post-traumatic stress disorder include the feeling of Agitation, Concentration issues, Self-harm, Lack of positive emotions, Nightmares, Flashbacks, Feeling of being over whelmed. Physical symptoms of Post-traumatic stress disorder include Increased startle response, Excessive sweating, High blood pressure, higher heart rate, Sleeping problems, Migraines / headache and Breathing issues etc. Whereas, Behavioral symptoms of Post-traumatic stress disorder include Hyper alertness, Detachment, Withdrawal, Drug abuse, Alcohol consumption, Disciplinary / management issues and Avoidance of trauma reminders etc. If you are suffering from any of the cognitive, physical or behavioral symptoms of PTSD, connect with us, our excellent symptom assessment, diagnosis and treatment of Post-traumatic stress disorder In Farmingdale, NY & Kew Gardens, NY is providing a helpful consultation to the patients of PTSD.
What causes Post-traumatic stress disorder?
Post-traumatic stress disorder can occur after an extremely frightening or stressful event or after a persistent traumatic experience. The common types of events that can lead to post-traumatic stress disorder include the following:
- Severe accidents
- Sexual assault
- Childhood or domestic abuse
- Exposure to traumatic event at home, school or work
- Serious health related issues
- Childbirth experience or the experience of losing a baby
- Conflict or war
- Mental or physical torture
What are the complications of Post-traumatic stress disorder?
PTSD if not treated properly, might increase your risk of developing other mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety, eating disorders, drug abuse and even the suicidal tendency.
Diagnosis of Post-traumatic stress disorder:
The health care provider will do a mental health screening and may also perform a physical exam. To have a diagnosis of PTSD you must have these symptoms for at least 30 days i.e. Re-experiencing the symptoms for at least once, Symptoms of avoidance for at least once, Arousal and reactivity symptoms for twice at least and at least two mood and cognition symptoms. If you are diagnosed with Post-traumatic stress disorder, we have outpatient and residential treatment programs are available at Farmingdale, NY & Kew Gardens, NY.
What are the types of Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)?
- Normal stress response occurs before PTSD starts. Though, it does not always end up to the higher stages of disorder. Proceedings like surgeries, injuries, accidents, severe illnesses, and other sources of irrational amounts of pressure and stress can all give rise to normal stress response.
- Acute stress disorder (ASD), occurs in people who have been exposed to a frightening event. For instance, natural disasters i.e. flood, earthquake, loss of loved ones, loss of a job are all stressors that can trigger acute stress disorder, if it is not treated on time it can give rise to PTSD.
- Uncomplicated PTSD is associated to one major distressing event and is the simplest form of PTSD to treat. Symptoms include nightmares, flashbacks of the incident, derealization, irritability and temperament changes etc.
- Complex PTSD is totally reverse of uncomplicated PTSD. It is caused by several distressing events. Complex PTSD is common in issues like domestic violence, war, violence in a community, or sudden loss of a loved one or an asset. Symptoms involve anxiety, panic or behavioral issues like sexual impulsivity, aggression or substance abuse etc.
- Comorbid PTSD involves co-occurring disorders. It includes more than one mental health issue, often linked with the issues of substance abuse. Comorbid PTSD is very common, as many people undergo more than one issue at a time. Best results are attained when both mental issue and the co-occurring PTSD are treated together by a psychiatrist. At First Light Psychological Services, we have experts available to help you to get through all kinds of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) with proven and advance treatments in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY we have successfully treated a number of patients to get back to their normal days of life.
Treatment of Post-traumatic stress disorder:
The main treatments for PTSD are psychotherapy / talk therapy, medicines, or both.
Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT):
Cognitive Behavior Therapy is a type of psychotherapy that has steadily been found to be most effective treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. CBT for post-traumatic stress disorder is trauma-focused. The skills learned during this therapy’s sessions are practiced repeatedly to help in getting rid of the symptoms of trauma.
The types of CBT for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder are:
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Prolonged Exposure (PE)
- Stress Inoculation Training (SIT)
Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT) for the treatment of Post-traumatic stress disorder is available at Farmingdale, NY & Kew Gardens, NY.
Prolonged Exposure (PE) for the treatment of Post-traumatic stress disorder is available at Farmingdale, NY & Kew Gardens, NY.
Stress Inoculation Training (SIT) for the treatment of Post-traumatic stress disorder is available at Farmingdale, NY & Kew Gardens, NY.
Pharmacological treatment (medicines) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder:
Different types of medicines can help in relieving the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder. Anti-depressants might to help control symptoms such as worry, sadness, anger and feeling of emptiness inside. Some medicines can also help with anxiety, nightmares and sleep problems. At First Light Psychological Services, in Kew Gardens, NY & Farmingdale, NY our team of experts are providing necessary and precise medicines to the patients of PTSD to get through the symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder.